Sunday, September 6, 2020

Legion of Silly Dinosaurs: Dinobots crossover!

 


If there's one thing that's been a surprise with this blog, it's that I haven't done a lot more entries for this feature. I have definitely been feeling like doing something dino-related, and to that end, I came up with this post as a catchup. When I was growing up, I loved robots almost as much as I loved dinosaurs, so of course, I was mesmerized when I found out that the Transformers and certain other lines featured robot dinosaurs. Alas, I never got any of these as a kid, but over the years, I've picked them up here and there. Here's a rundown of my dinobots.

When I thought of doing this post, there were three I thought of immediately. As is often the case, this original lineup did not include the major, name-brand dinobots, and I hadn't really missed them. Instead, they consisted of two "knockoffs" and one of the "spinoffs" to the Transformers line. Here's pics of the dino/ alt modes.


Of these, the one I've had longest and the one that has interested me most is the red one. It's a knockoff I got for Christmas when I was about 12. From my usual uncanny recollections, it was sold at the local grocery store, I think with a few others even I don't recall. I seriously considered this guy for a "Mystery Monday" entry, as I have never found identification of the manufacturer or any independent record of the line. Here's more pics of him being transformed.

It will be obvious that this is the biggest of the group. In fact, this is probably the biggest bot I actually had as a kid, definitely bigger than the Robotech guy. It's a uniquely simple and robust style, even more so than the Gobots, which has made it particularly difficult to come up with a real lead. The face piece is no longer completely secure due to a broken peg. Originally, it could turn around when the bot was in dino mode, but tends to fall out if it's reversed. The chest piece clearly has openings for an electronic sound gimmick, but it's really just a shell, indicating that the design was stripped down after the original molds were created. There is also a tiny compartment in the back that might have been intended for a battery. Here's another shot with the Truckstop Queen.
"If I didn't already have a boyfriend..."

The next in the lineup is a recent find, actually purchased at a museum gift shop. It's part of a line called Adventure Planet that includes a variety of creature-transformers as well as "straight" playsets. It's most noteworthy for looking like a "real" dinosaur, a bit old-school and quite nice. The alt mode is really more of a shell that the bot retracts into. Unfortunately, it's none too sturdy with a very serious flaw in how the legs are anchored. It doesn't help that the head literally comes out of the posterior. Here's some pics of his transformation.

The third bot is the one authorized Transformer, one of the "single step" ones that have been on the racks in recent years. The transformation involves pushing down on the dino head. There's also an action feature where the tail goes up and down if you push on the back plates. Here's a few more pics of him, and another of the main group.


The one name-brand, full-sized dinobot in this lineup is one I bought on sale a year or two ago. I almost left him out because I literally couldn't transform him. I finally worked it out after taking most of the pics I wanted. Here's a few pics of him, and the trouble I had with the transformation.



"I swear, this has never happened before."

"On second thought, I'm not into metal."

The extra guy in the lineup is the oldest of the lot, and another mystery item. I got him as a reward in school in 1987. He's a pencil sharpener, still functional as such. He would originally have had a hinged belly plate (which must have been sculpted with the tips of his feet) and two little arms, as I recall with  C-clamp pincer hands. My most distinct recollection is that there was also a pair of scissors (maybe just pictured on the packaging) that were made up as a sort of robo pterodactyl. The only surviving manufacturing mark says, "Made in Hong Kong". Even in his current state, he's still cool and cute.

That's all for now. As always more to follow. Here's another take of the lineup to wrap up.






No comments:

Post a Comment