Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Movie Mania! Lanard Aliens Part 2

 


It's my day off, and I decided to make a short post. This time around, I'm unboxing  an acquisition I made in the last week, a 7-inch version of the Lanard Aliens line. It took longer and cost a bit more money because the Walmart sold out of everything in the time I took to decide what I wanted. While I have no doubt there will be more cluttering the shelves in the next few months, for the moment things look bleak enough that I turned to an online scalper who only marked up the price about 20%. I actually kept it in the box for a little while, if only because I had enough other things on my plate that I needed to clear a little time to five this a proper treatment. To get things going, here's the item in the box.


You can see from these pics that the manufacturer does the legwork with the package artwork, something I covered in more detail with the giant Predator. This didn't raise quite as much interest for me simply because the art is mostly reused from the first Alien/ Aliens wave, which I already covered. I was intrigued by the fact that they clearly reused the egg and facehugger from the first wave (see the 35mm alien post), despite the change in scale. If anything, it's a better fit with the larger figure, though almost everything about scale in the Alien "canon" gets wonky if you're really paying attention. There's also been a change in the colors, with the egg lighter in color and the facehugger painter in a darker color that makes the detail more visible. Here's a few pics.
Family picture time!


As for the figure itself, the most interesting thing about it is that the head sculpt is clearly based on the Alien as seen in the original movie, which was famously modified for Aliens after condition issues with the original suit revealed details not fully visible during filming. The details on the upper surface are painted on, but done well enough that it's easy to visualize the more ornate details underneath; this went a long way to convincing me that this was the one to get if it I only had a chance to pick one. There's extra marbling in the plastic, which gives a nice touch, though a side effect is an odd, off-center line that may or may not show in the pics. It also has points of articulation at all the major joints. As I commented in my previous post on the line, the articulation is visibly unappealing, but the joints feel very solid on handling. Several even come with an audible ratchet popping when moved. I still find most of the poses decidedly non-threatening; however, that was already one of the more entertaining points about the line. Here's a few pics.
"Yeah, hands up, I know the drill..."

"Great, Predator left a mess in the kitchen again, and the Thing is going to pretend he's a dog."

"As you can see, the possibilities of the Weyland Yutani blender go far beyond urban pacification..."

One other thing about the figure is that he's big enough to tower over my usual reference models, as already shown above with the Gas Station Duchess (and Cassie),  something that hardly ever happens outside of my dino and giant robot posts. Incidentally, I've done some remeasuring recently and concluded that the sisters are pretty much exactly 6 inches, though I remain convinced the Truckstop Queen herself (on her own day off right now) is a little bit taller. Here's one more reference shot with the Dumpster Drag Queen.
"Well, yes, I suppose you are gender non-binary..."

Finally, here's a shot with the other Queen of this feature.

That's all for now, more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment