Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Rogues' Roundup! Kate and Ken (the Wampa)

I needed something a bit short today, so I decided to go with one who's already appeared frequently: The Truckstop Queen, aka Cordelia, aka per the comments, Kate! She's been my "model" since long before I started this blog, and it was about time she was front and center. This time, she's together with her boyfriend, Ken R. Wampa. Here's s few pics of the Happy Couple with some of the more recently featured figures, including the mystery red guy.

"Short by that much..."

All things considered, the Truckstop Queen's story is simple enough. Sometime around 2012 or 2013, during the darkest days of chronic unemployment, I was at the local used bookstore with friends when I saw her available for maybe 2 or 3 dollars. I had no idea what she was or who she was, but the price was good even by unemployed-me standards, and I decided she would be a friendly face to have around. After I brought her home, I figured out she was Cordelia from (edit) Moore Action Collectibles' Buffy/ Angel line. I also found out she would have originally come with a purse and some weapons, which I definitely didn't miss. I liked her because she was different from what I usually get, which I suppose is why I started to work her into my pics of other toys.

That all led to a long series of posts in social media and online forums that evolved into this blog. Along the way, I recognized how much taller she was than other figures, something like 6 and a half inches when I finally measured. That presented a problem when I had the idea to set her up with a boyfriend. I tried a range of figures before it occurred to me that the one toy that would equal or exceed her height was a Kenner Wampa I had picked up to replace one I had had as a kid. (It was him or the big red Robotech guy.) The one further issue that emerged was that the rather infamous arms were articulated with a piece of elastic that that's tricky to work with. This is why many of the pics to appear here have the Wampa directly behind her. On the other hand, the Truckstop Queen is indecently mobile, while Ken's arms can go every which way whether you want them to or not. With a little experimenting, I got an array of... interesting poses, Here's some pics, new and old.
"I'm going to slap you if you don't stop acting like a gentleman..."

"You can drag me to your cave and hang me from the ceiling anytime you want..."
These things happen. Then it takes me twice as long to do it again.

There's not much more to add here. The Truckstop Queen is staying on my shelves with Ken, when I don't need her elsewhere for my morale. She remains a friendly face, and everybody needs that sometimes. That's all for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment