Sunday, August 9, 2020

Mid-Sized Marx: King Hippo!



I wanted to get something in before more movie reviews, so I'm bringing something a little more random than usual. After gathering the 6-inch figures featured in the Miniature Giants series, I've been searching the online sales for more worlds to conquer. Not long ago, I found something that caught my interest. I had long been convinced I played with a Marx jungle animal set (undoubtedly bootleg/ knockoff) as a kid, including a hippo. I caught wind of a release of Marx animals in a much larger scale. After looking into it further, I found one particular item that I was willing to pay for. What I got was this.


"Mention marbles, and this is the last thing you will ever see."

Per my usual authority Marx Wild West, Marx made jungle animals in ca 60mm/ 2.5 inch scale from the early 1950s onward. In the 1960s, they made a number of animals in large size out of hard plastic. These were described as "hollow", which left me honestly unsure what to expect. I half-expected the specimen I ordered to be the same solid "soft" plastic as the 6-inch figures, which at this size would qualify as a murder weapon. The alternative that crossed my mind was that it would be one of those cheap monster figures with a giant open cavity where the underbelly would be. What I actually got was made on the same lines as the (barely remembered) He Man Battle Cat, two molded halves joined together in the middle (in this case with visibly discolored glue).

On the question of size, it was noted in advance that the animals were not consistent in scale. It was also reported that this particular beast was about 6 inches long. Independent measurements proved difficult due to the dramatic pose, which actually shortened it overall. Still, I came up with 3 inches at the shoulder and at least 7 inches long (perhaps 8 if the head and neck were level). That became my main reason for including the beast here, as these figures put it at about the right scale for the 70mm or 4 inch figures. With this as a frame of reference, the size comes out in the neighborhood of 5 or 7 feet tall and 10 to 15 feet long, figures that are realistic though a little bit small (!) in length. Here's a couple reference photos with the space guys.
"Size matters, but so does a nuclear warhead parked in orbit."
"Great, an alien hippo. I suppose it's going to tear me in half and eat my head."

Beyond this basic information, there isn't much to add. Contrary to certain reports, the large sized animals were not part of any paysets, and it is not obvious how they could have been. Along with the 6-inch figures, they represent an attempt to expand beyond the army man/ playset scale figures. As with many Marx experiments, they feel both too late and too soon. In the 1950s, they could have been revolutionary.  In the 1970s, they would have been fine companions to 3.75-4 inch action figures (particularly the Adventure People line). But in the 1960s, they were just a bit odd, which certainly wasn't bad.

And now, story pictures!
"I told them I needed a ray gun!"
"Sorry, Kenny. This is what happens when you bring a thermometer instead of a gun."
"If thou wilt recall, the recruiting poster said we wouldst slay dragons. There was nothing about a 2-ton hippo!"

For links, you can see earlier installments on the 4-inch and 3-inch space guys as well as the knights. While you're at it, see the Exotroopers Xmas demo for more about hippos in about 500 words than you ever wanted to know.




No comments:

Post a Comment