Friday, January 15, 2021

Rogues' Roundup: Shiny Truckstop Queen variant!

 


I'm already behind a day with posts, so I decided to keep this short, and I also decided it was time to show off one of my latest acquisitions. I've already devoted much of this feature to the Truckstop Queen and her sisters. Recently, I finally shelled out a little extra to get one more for the family. This time, I'm  calling her the Trailer Park Princess, or just Cameron. Here's a closeup of the new girl, more or less in the packaging, with Cassie, the other figure I purchased in box (and the stand).

The backstory for this one is that the manufacturer, Moore Action Collectibles, did a variant of the short-haired version of Cordelia from their Buffy/ Angel line. This time, she came with a bright red top and black pants, as well as the same accessories originally included with the "long hair" version. The figure was released in supposedly limited numbers at comic conventions in 2002. As previously mentioned, prices run higher than for other figures, though the numbers usually top out at about $50. I got this specimen for about $15 before shipping. When I got it, I opened the box for closer examination of the figure and accessories. For the moment, I have kept the figure in the inner plastic packing, in large part because I figured out with Cassie that you can't really put them back. Here's one more pic.

The big surprise with the Princess is that everything is shiny. The top is almost metallic, while the pants are so glossy they shine on their own. The hair also looks just a little lighter, though I can't tell for sure. Finally, the button for the pants is painted a brassy-copper color that just might show up in one or two of these pics. The downside is that something in the paint or plastic didn't age well. I tried a little handling of the figure and found a number of places where the surface felt soft or even sticky; in the process, I added some smudges that won't be visible to anyone but me. That ended up being a major reason I put the figure back in the box, because I definitely don't want to see what happens if dust gets stuck to her. 

Meanwhile, I tried out the accessories, and once again discovered these figures don't hold their own any better. The main items were a rather large purse and an axe. On testing, the purse wouldn't stay on the Queen's shoulder, despite being literally made for the figure, but it worked with the short-haired figures. Then there was the axe, which is very wonky but clearly intended to look cool above all else. Here's pics with the Queen and Cassie holding the accessories.
What is this thing, an armored laptop bag?


For some reason, everyone compliments my outfit when I'm holding an axe.

The figure also came with two small accessories, which I temporarily lost when taking the pics for this post. One is supposed to be a stake, but really looks more like a very fat pencil. The other is a flashlight, which judging from other collectors' photos never seems to have come out quite right. Despite their small size, they proved almost impossible to get in any figure's hands. Here's the Truckstop Queen barely holding the remaining accessories.
Why do you keep asking if I need batteries?

All in all, I certainly don't regret the purchase, but I'm still not sure what to do with this one, which is one more reason the Princess is staying in her box. For any display, the rest of the sisters are more than enough. While I'm at it, here's one more pic. Ooh, the shiny!

That's all for now, more to come!


No comments:

Post a Comment