Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Rogues' Roundup Special: Last stand!

 


For today, I'm back with another roundup, this time for something that wasn't going to fit anywhere else. Lately, I've been keeping the Truckstop Queen and sisters on my desk for morale, and that's meant a lot more accidental clonkings, including a few near misses to the Spiff ships. That finally drove me to invest in some action figure stands. In the process, I figured out the sisters were made for a different peg size than other figures in my collection, including the Dumpster Drag Queen from the same manufacturer, which finally drove me to make a special acquisition. But first, let's start with the first set I got.


The stands shown here are from NECA, purchased as a 10-pack for about half price and still more than I cared for. They were advertised for 6 to 8 inch figures, but the pegs are the right size for a Star Wars figure. Inexplicably, this proved too big for the sisters. The pegs are also a bit long, though it's easy enough to pare them down. Fortunately, they were just right for two other troublesome figures. One is Funko Darkwing Duck, previously introduced, who is rather unaccountably prone to falling over. (It might be the hat.) The other is the Predator, apparently a mail-order entry in the 1990s Kenner Aliens/ Predator line, which I picked up for dirt ages ago. He's obviously big, and he has the kind of stance first popular in the '90s that makes it look like he's doing stretches. The stands were just right for these two, especially the Predator. It also turned out the stands would fit the Drag Queen. Here's one more pic with her in the lineup, plus Bossk.

Meanwhile, I was back to square 1 with the sisters. I had already ordered one figure in the box, which turned out not to have the stand, and the one that came with the Drag Queen was a bust. I might have ended up ordering yet another figure, but I finally found a halfway decent deal for a loose stand from the carded version of the figure. When it arrived, I was ready to believe it still might not work. Of course, it was the right size, finally. As a bonus, it turned out it would support the Truckstop Queen (aka Kate) in what I always thought her most natural pose would be. Here's some more pics.



Taken on Couch Mark 2. You might be able to see a gold button that I use to tell them apart.


My real hope was that the stand might support two figures as well as one. As shown above, it was no trouble to get one figure to stay upright on one peg and even on one foot. The real problem was that two figures made for a tight fit. Still, I could make do.
"Sure, Kong's fun, but the Big Red Robotech Guy is husband material...."

When I was putting this together, I thought of one more experiment. I knew the Drag Queen and the Predator could fit on the same pegs, but the stand the former came with was more complicated. I think the sculpted can did as much to keep him upright as the pegs, but I did get the Predator on the Drag Queen's stand, and it fits him as well as anything else. Here's the pics.

I told my agent Predator 2 was a bad idea.

That's all for now, more to come!











No comments:

Post a Comment