Monday, November 23, 2020

Mystery Monday: Rocket sled speeder glider thingy???

 


I decided it was time to bring this feature back, and I very quickly decided there was one thing overdue to cover. The big surprise is that it's something I picked up recently, which doesn't look like it should be that old. I found it at a used book/ video store, last year or maybe year before, in part because I hoped closer examination would give me a better idea. Fast forward, and I'm more stumped than I would have thought I could be for something I'm sure was made after 2000. Before I go deeper, here's a couple more pics with the Truckstop Queen.


One thing that's very clear about this is that it was meant to come with something else, presumably a figure. That was and is a pretty typical gimmick, but this is at the threshold between an accessory and a vehicle. Someone apparently decided it was the former, because I'm absolutely sure there's no copyright or manufacturer's information. One might think it would be easy to work out the scale, but I'm genuinely unsure. It obviously wasn't meant for a figure as big as the Truckstop Queen, but Star Wars figures seem a bit small. I suspect that there were missiles, weapons or other pieces attached at one time, but all that's visible are a few openings in the underbelly. The cone in front might look like a missile, but i's not removable. Here's some more pics. of the detailing.



Another obvious question is when this was made. I could see it coming from as early as the 1990s, but I have no serious doubt it comes from the 2000s or possibly later. It looks very slightly like the snowspeeder from Empire Strikes Back, another reason to put it after 1990. The evident concept is suspiciously similar to the Green Goblin's glider from Spiderman, which was in the comics all along but would have had a lot more sale value when the movies started coming out. Another intriguing detail that looks like would be a clue is that symbol on the front, but I tried searches without getting anything out of it. One last thing is those pegs on either side. They look like supports for a figure, and they certainly fit regular-sized holes. But they're way too far apart for one figure, even the Truckstop Queen, and it makes even less sense to have two figures aboard. I'm tempted to think they were meant for some other purpose, but I can't think of anything that would make any more sense. Here's a pic with Bossk and IG-88 to show just how out of proportion this is.

That's all for the time being. Maybe with this out there, somebody will figure out what this is and it will all seem obvious. But that's what mysteries are like. And while we're at it, here's one more pic with the sisters!









No comments:

Post a Comment