Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Fiction special: Retro gaming fan/ parody novel announcements!

 As I write this, I'm at the start of a week I had planned to get in 3 posts for, and I've had a rough day. To fill out the lineup, I decided to post a few announcements about my novel. First, I have indeed finished a complete novel for about the last month (see the fourth demo), which I am currently trying to lock down from further revision I have also submitted the book to the two publishers I could find with an online submission process, which indicated that I should be notified of acceptance or rejection sometime in August. That gives me a couple more months to obsess over the book.

Meanwhile, I did something actually fun. I found a website called Fiver where you can hire freelance artists. I got a black-and-white illustration done by an artist named Nekosa who looked like a fit for my style, based on a scene about halfway through the book. Here, for the first time, is what I got out of it. I feel like this is what would happen if this was a 1980s video game and this was the box art; it doesn't literally represent the scene (which I willingly departed from to show all the characters really doing something), but it gets the idea and essence. Needless to say, I ask that all readers refrain from reposting or circulating this image except as links to this post.

And here's what I could come up with for an actual cover. This was the original title I replaced in the drafts I have circulated so far, because at least one person beat me to it on the Amazon Kindle platform alone. After further assessment, I decided I could use it without legal risk or creating problems for the other author, whose work as advertised is not within the fantasy or parody genres or otherwise directly based on the source material. And, of course, the powers that be can't sue me without suing the other guy first...

So, that is where matters stand. I will be waiting for input and checking out one more legal issue involving the use of song lyrics. If no route to mainstream publication materializes, I plan to put this up by September of this year. I am considering options for getting feedback and maybe a little money while this is still in limbo. Meanwhile, I will be busy going back to actual work. That's all for now, more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment