Sunday, March 20, 2022

The Legion of Silly Dinosaurs: Walk on the wild side!

 


It's time for this month's dino blog, which as always means the most work for the least views. This time around, I'm doing another clearance of the backlogged material, specifically stuff that I didn't buy but still photographed to have proof it exists. And it you've been here long enough to get a feel for what I'll pay money for, you can already guess this is going to be a rough ride. To start with, here's pics above and below from the store where I got the Dragon Knight dinobot.


For contest, these pics are from two different trips. The big brachiosaur in the opening pic is an electronic/ animatronic toy made of foam rubber, I'm sure considerably larger than the Dormei Godzilla. The packaged set immediately above looked like they could be knockoffs of 1980s vintage dinosaurs. The resemblance is especially strong to the Imperial dinos, though not enough to convince me these are direct copies. It's one of the most interesting things I've seen for sale new, and in 20/20 hindsight, I definitely should have gotten this rather than the dinobot. It's the kind of thing that fascinates me just by continuing to exist. While I'm at it, here's another mall sighting, from a semi-classy shop.




What interested me about these is that they are about on the level you might see in a museum gift shop. To me, they really aren't any more interesting than the patchisaurs and other obviously outdated dinos that are still out there. Of course, they're nicer and more polished, but they have their own scientific flaws, as evident especially from the brachiosaur. Next up, here's something that was at the grocery store not long ago.



This one is as far as I can tell a bagged version of the Walmart Marx clone dino set, complete with the patchisaur Pteranodon and the Hideous Abomination. (If it looks like you're seeing a frog foot in the lower pic, that's the Abomination....) The weird part is, they also threw in a uintathere, which almost convinced me to buy this thing. I might have eventually, but the set got sold out. Next, here's a sighting at the unidentified restaurant/ shop where I found Gumby and Pokey. Don't know that I have anything to say...



And to wind things up, here's even more from the store where I got the dinobot.

Apparently, you can make a Carnotaurus look goofier than the real thing.

On the other hand, this looks more realistic than the Dilophosaurus in Jurassic Park.

Why is the bootleg packaging rip off a movie nobody remembers?




And multiple Godzillas!

And with that, I'm wrapping this up. These truly are what I do this featuer and the blog for. I may not get much of my traffic from these posts, but it's always worth it, and sooner or later, I might even turn this into a book. (A reminder, I just got a new ebook out!) And here's one more thing...

That's all for now, more to come!

1 comment:

  1. The old Marx dino sets should now be considered Rudolph Zallinger 'Age of Reptiles' mural repros.

    ReplyDelete