Tuesday, June 27, 2023

Futures Past: Nintendo exotrooper figure!

 


As I write this, it's the last week of the month, and I realized I had something backlogged. While I was spending the last 2 1/2 months writing a Nintendo fan novel (see my fourth demo), I finally gave in and tried to buy a figure of one of the classic NES characters I was obviously ripping off. I refer, of course, to Samus Aran, from the iconic game I can't recall playing or seeing anyone else play once. I found a landscape of figures pulling scalper prices, and with a whole lot of bonus points, I got the newest and in all likelihood least impressive one. Then, of course, I took it out of the packaging, because I do this to make "real" collectors cry. Here's pics of this thing on card.

You know the suit is from the 1980s because her shoulder pads are literally bigger than her helmet.




Now to go all the way back, I can recall being aware of Metroid in the 1980s and '90s, and what stands out is that it didn't have that big a profile. Up to when I was in junior high, there was still only the original game, from the ancient year of 1986. From what I heard back then, it was simply a space adventure with a where-do-I-go element that a whole bunch of games were trying to do. It didn't help that the main reason I heard about it was because Mother Brain was the main villainess and quite possibly the most irritating character on the now-legendary Captain N TV series, which I really did watch regularly. It was in a revisit of the game in Nintendo's propaganda outlet that I first learned of the reveal that quite possibly created Rule 34: The space adventurer in the armor was actually a lady.

Now for the figure, this is a figure released this year by Jakks Pacific, which has been making figures of this character since at least 2014. The most distinctive thing about this figure is that it has a matte texture where earlier figures had been glossy. I have to admit, this is pretty good. The points of articulation, while more gimmicky than useful, are in places that make sense. The detailing is the right balance between realistic and stylized. And, wonder of wonders, it's quite easy to persuade this thing to stand up. Here's some pics of the figure.





And for a little fun, here's a couple articulation tests.

Okay, I was not expecting Samus as a cheerleader, but it's probably out there.


And here she is with the 4-inch Space Guys (whose own adventure was ironically derailed for all this). These figures are usually listed as 4 inches, but this is definitely bigger, I can believe 4.5 inches.


Now, the question I come to is what put this one in this sporadic and meandering feature, where does Samus really fit in pop culture evolution? There were plenty of lady adventurers before her, as evidenced in Heavy Metal (which I repeatedly reference in my novel), though it was something new in video games. I would propose that the character had more impact through popularizing the combat exoskeleton/ mech suit, though I can attest that I was drawing such things in the late '80s-early '90s timeframe independent of any direct influence. (I swear I kind of invented the term "exotrooper", but I have never had to explain it.) The biggest step forward was a game with a focus on exploring an environment, which as alluded was quickly done to death. To me, she remains what she was then: A cool character.

And to wrap this up, here's a couple sketches I did for the book. I was trying to think of an exotrooper design crossed with Greek armor, so I drew a finback with a sort-of Corinthian face plate. I spent a lot of time trying to work out how it would raise, then an illustrator I am working with just drew it scrunched up in a way I'm going to have to work into the book. And the other one is a Flower Girl who can turn into a Psittacosaurus-dragon thing.


And one more, because the best sketch is always the one that goes completely wrong...

And with that, I'm calling it a day. That's all for now, more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment