Friday, March 17, 2023

Miniature Giants: Blue Moon figures???

 


As I write this, I'm still in what is dormant mode compared to what I once did with this blog. That has given me time to consolidate my new and old acquisitions. That, in turn, has brought me back to a big part of what started all this, my giant Marx figures. Over the year since I last posted on this subject (most of the links will be below), I had made a few new acquisitions. What led to this feature, however, was a literal accident: A few days ago, I got someone else's package. In the process of figuring out what happened. I looked at the most beautiful figure I have ever seen. Here are a couple pics I took to cover my posterior.



The backstory here is that I received a package from an online seller I had made a previous purchase from containing figures I hadn't ordered or paid for. A quick correspondence confirmed that this was another buyer's purchase, accidentally shipped with my name and address. The figures proved to be Scooper and the Cameraman, both in the shiny marbled blue Marx used with some of the astronaut figures released at the beginning of 1970. What made me immediately paranoid was that there was absolutely no sign of damage to the lens of the Cameraman figure, where both of my specimens of the figure had been so roughed up it was hard to say if there was a trace of the original detail. I made sure to document this fact before repacking the figures. Here are a couple more pics.


And of course I had to do one with the Truckstop Queen...

"Hey, chicks dig a guy who's good with animals..."

Now, here's what started this. About a month ago, I put in a bid with the same seller for a blue version of a sculpt I have called Digger, which I previously had acquired only as a specimen in an odd shade of white with the head broken off. That one had been most interesting as an evident example of a different kind of plastic being used, possibly in a later run of the figures. I hadn't been unduly concerned with getting a more complete specimen, but when I saw I could get one that was whole and in blue, I put down a minimum bid and won. Here's a pic of the two together.

This, in turn, was proceeded by another purchase from a different seller. This was for the Commander, which I already had two of. I still decided it was worth the money, so I put in an order. What I got was much more impressive than I expected, particularly since my very first blue figure, the Cameraman (featured in the top pic), had proven distinctly underwhelming. This is literally brilliant, and if anything, that's a strong indicator that this is from the first run by Marx. Here are all three in a lineup.
I know, I'm bad at lighting...

And here's a few more pics of the new guys together.


"Sir, it appears that we are in a world of plastic toys. The upside is, most of them are smaller than us."

"Let's go home. Half our funding was just diverted to defense spending anyway."

So, the upshot of this is that I have now handled and photographed 5 of the 6 astronaut sculpts in blue. On the whole, having to send two of them back was a small price to pay. The future remains uncertain, as I have a few more relatively recent acquisitions I haven't posted about (see my video on rare figures) but no immediate plans for more purchases. Here's one more pic.
"The briefcase says authority, but a shovel says a guy who will bury the evidence."

That's all for now, more to come!

And as a bonus, here's all the installments of this feature.
Part 1: Enemy Marx (Japanese figures)
Part 2: Marx Marxists! (Soviet figures)
Part 3: Marx on the Moon (Apollo/ astronaut set)
Part 4: The Good, the Marx and the Ugly (Wild West and "'casualty" figures)
Part 5: Not Marx Is Still Good Marx (Mexican Marx toys and other large-sized figures)
Part 6: Marx By Marxists??? (Ukrainean produced figures)
Part 7: Back to the Moon! (Astronaut figures, part 2)
Part 8: Scooper Mystery? (Bulgy-pack production variant/ error)
Part 9: Mexican Scooper and Marvel Guy (The Daredevil figure...)
Part 10: More Cowboys! (Wild West, part 2)

No comments:

Post a Comment