Sunday, May 1, 2022

The Legion of Silly Dinosaurs: Lego dinosaur set!

 


It's the last post of the last week of the month, even if it is technically the first of the month, and I decided we were due for a dino blog, even if I did already get one in for the generic dino bag. For something completely different, I'm doing a Lego set, which I have dredged up enough of to generate a post on the 1990s giant robot. This time, I have one of the Creator sets, which I am long familiar with as the company's ultimate bait and switch. It offers 3 different builds, so you tell yourself you can build them all to get maximum value from the set. Then the set sits on a shelf or in the closet, until you finally open it up and do one of the builds that wasn't even the one you wanted to do, and then you never touch it again, but you still buy another set, and another... But I'm not bitter. Here's a few more pics of the box and manuals.




Of course, I had plans to go through this set and get pics of all the builds. Instead, I built one set I'd had for a while without opening, which didn't fit any of my features. Then I finally opened this one the day I had set to do this post, which gave me just enough time to do the "cover" build, the tyrannosaur. It proved to be a fast build, as could really be expected from the size of the set. Here's the build at mid-point.

And here's the finished product.

Now, how does this measure up? The best point, ironically, is the arms, which are inward-facing as they would have been in life, and generally as hilariously small as the real thing. The obviously problematic point is the legs, which make it look like the dino is squatting. One more thing that's definitely odd is the lower jaw, which I find more like Moby Dick than a dinosaur. (Can we all just agree to call them cachalot?) Here's some more pics.



All in all, it's certainly a good set, and I definitely intend to do more with it. I'm definitely most interested in the ceratopsian, which looks almost like a Chasmosaurus rather than a trike. It is one of several such sets to come to my attention, and probably one of the better ones. Meanwhile, it all reminded me of something, so I took a look and found this. It's a model I built around 2006, to represent Deinocheirus when it was still only known from fragmentary remains.

"Grr. Argh. I'm a toothless sauravian that might or might not eat meat!"

With that, I'm wrapping this up. Its been fun, and it just might be a new direction for this blog. That's all for now, more to come!


No comments:

Post a Comment